Friday, January 27, 2012

Around Padre Island

The main reason I wanted to do the gulf shore of Texas was to visit Padre Island. I am located in Port Isabel - just over the bridge from Padre Island. So a couple days ago, I took my chair, my book and my cow's hair and rhinestone visor (eeee-hawwwwww) and took off for the island. When I was first going over the bridge I could see "skyscrapers" ahead, and thought,"Oh no, what's this?" It was the town of South Padre Island, well-developed, with monstrous hotels. But that's not what I had planned to see. Of course, it's like any other resort area. It will develop as much as it can to meet demand. I kept driving north on the island and pretty soon I had sand on both sides and water beyond that. Very nice. I drove until the road stopped - closed because of sand on it. They had 3-4 big dump trucks which they were continually filling. The dump trucks then went down the road about 1/2 mile, and dumped the load of sand right beside the road. There were many piles. Do you think this was one day's work? Guaranteed employment? Thank you, Texas ocean winds!!

 
I also saw a number of For Sale signs in these beautiful dunes. The development will be moving out. I stopped at one of the access areas, took my chair, book and visor (e - h) and walked onto the beach.  I do believe I was the only one who walked onto the beach. Everyone else drove. Of course, the people staying on the beach drove; the fisherpeople drove, with their poles all lined-up on the bumpers; and the walkers drove; and the shell-seekers drove. I had to walk a while to find a place to put my chair. In a couple hours, though, I was pretty much alone. There was also a nice RV park in this area.


On the way back, I stopped into another turtle hospital. This one was small, started by the Turtle Lady, Ila Loetscher. One of the large turtles had lost a flipper - amputated because of damage. They had fitted it with a mechanical brace, and were modifying it, trying to come up with the most functional design. He was cute, as all these big sea turtles are. They also have a number of young turtles here - hatchlings which they release to the wild when ready. Some of these aren't seen for years, but then make their way back. I enjoyed reading their story board which told the stories of the turtles - what was wrong with them, whether they were released, etc. One guy was released 3 times, and came back each one. Now they're hoping a zoo or aquarium will take him.

I am so excited!!!! I was able to get my window shade fixed for $35.00. Skittles likes to climb between the window shade and the window, which pulls the string out of the shade. I was able to get the tension back in the big bedroom shade twice, but this last time "sayonara."Another camper was checking out my rig, and told me about this man - just around the corner - who had fixed his shade. Voila!!!! When I went to the Winnebago dealer, he said they couldn't fix it. A new one would be custom made for $300+ and take months to get. But... Carlos took it off about 5:30 PM and put it back on at 7:30 AM. Thank you, Carlos, and thank you, Vince, for telling me. Needless to say, I don't put my shades down anymore.

 
I like where I am staying. I am in an overflow area, on the water, with boats, pelicans, seagulls and people fishing off the wharf in back of me. I am in Port Isabel, close to Padre Island, Brownsville, Harlingen and Mexico.

 

Today, I walked the old cemetery in Brownsville. It was established in 1853, but the land was deeded in 1868 to the city. There is a cemetery center which is used for research and geneology, containing a great deal of information. Of course, it is full of history, and ethnic diversity. Three of the stones that interested me were: (1) Daisy Stark, who lived 4 1/2 years, was the first recorded pedestrian to be killed by a horse carriage. Little stuffed toys were on her grave;  (2) Rev Hiram Chamberlain, born in Monktown, VT in 1797, educated at Andover Theological Seminary, was the first Protestant (Presbyterian) minister in this Rio Grande area. He helped establish a school for girls, was a secessionist, a chaplain for the confederacy, disapproved of slavery, but was against the abolition movement. Interesting man - ardent in his views; and (3) Nestor A. Garcia, whose gravestone had a special note, "Love you Dad" from his kids.

One more day here, and then I cross Texas, heading for Big Bend, and seeing the sites on the way. Goodbye Gulf. I can see why so many "Winter Texans" winter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment