Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"Arunning"

I left Dallas yesterday, after spending a GREAT 2 weeks with my cousins. I have such a good time hanging around with my Texas family. I love being there.

My trip down was pretty uneventful. Gypsy brought me 26 miles out of the way to a non-existing gas station, and a bridge was washed out (flooding around the Mississippi). I slept at truck stops and Wallmarts, except for a 2-day stay in Paducah, KY. I liked Paducah - saw the quilt museum, and the downtown area with the murals along the street beside the Ohio River.

I also stopped at a Shaker Village in KY. The Shakers were such interesting people. They believed in equality of the sexes, but kept them apart from each other in their communal living arrangement. Female dorms, dining room and living spaces on one side; male on the other. Since they didn't believe in intercourse, there were no progeny. I heard there is only 1 living colony - in Maine, with 3 older women. This village in KY was beautiful, and well preserved. I got a kick out of the fact that the Shakers would have 1 chair, that was made to the individual's body. That chair would travel with the individual. One chair fit - why would you need another? Yet a common implement in the kitchen was a tong, specifically used to take the toast from the heating appliance, so that fingers would not be burned. Seems like a luxury. But, I 'spose not, considering all the saved fingertips! I also enjoyed the fact that the members of the governing council did not mix with the others in the community, so that their decisions would not be influenced. Hmmmm... no lobbyists, PACs, special interest groups, funding favors!!!!


I came to an RV park north of Houston. I set up the coach, and put Skittles (cat) on a leash. An unleashed kitten came over to visit, and Skittles was fine with that, until the cat went in to the coach. World War III broke out, and I did my best to pull Skittles away. The kitten went "arunning" and Skittles calmed down. At least I thought she had calmed down. Picking her up was the wrong move. I'm now wearing battle scars on both arms. You'd think she would show me a little respect, particularly since she's so dependent upon me. The good side of this is that I don't have to worry about someone breaking in. A showdown with attack cat will get him/her "arunning."






Today I went to the Museum of Funeral History. Why?, you say. I don't know. But it was pretty interesting. I particularly enjoyed the displays of Presidents' funerals. The hearse that carried the bodies of both Reagan and Ford was there. The final bill for George Washington's funeral ($110) was there, along with a replica of the Lincoln train, a poster proclaiming a $100,000 reward for the murderer of Lincoln, and many newspapers announcing the deaths of other presidents. The original "Eternal Flame" at JFK's grave site was displayed, having been replaced by a newer and better model. I also found the origin of "basket case," which is pretty sad. I saw a Pope Mobile and many whimsical coffins. I'm glad I went - learned some new things.

2 comments:

  1. The Shaker visit sounds interesting. I just interviewed Deborah Woodworth who writes the Sister Callahan mysteries. They are about a Shaker Eldress living in Kentucky during the Depression. http://tinyurl.com/78qenuo

    ReplyDelete