Monday, August 29, 2011

Will any of my clocks show the same time?

I arrived in Elkhart, Indiana in the dark, and 10 minutes before the sky opened to rain, rain, rain. I donned my raincoat to turn the tow car off, and plug in the electric. I figured I'd do the rest in the morning. The next day, I finished the set-up and left to take a tour of the Monaco RV plant. I had to kill time before the tour, so I toured the town, including a garden quilt, which they have all over the area, and are pretty attractive. I then got to the tour about 20 minutes early, and found it had started 40 minutes ago. Who knew Indiana was on Eastern time?

 I don't know if this is true for you, but I find when I first start a trip, I take picture after picture. Usually I go through them, and eliminate 4 of the 5 I take of one thing. But, at the end of the trip, I forget to bring my camera, or forget to take it out of my pocket. That's what happened in Indiana.  The next day, I went to a couple auctions. The first one was everything you thought you might find in a barn - cartons of stuff - rakes, harnesses, rope, blankets, etc. A lot of last minute bartering - "I'll pay half that price for one of them."


The second auction was a horse auction. It took a long time to get all the horses in the different pens. I was on a catwalk above. There was one horse biting and kicking all the others with her in the pen. I felt like whacking her. And there was this little pinto, which was cowed by the other horses, and emaciated. She looked like she needed a lot of TLC. I'm allergic to horses, and after a time, I started sneezing, and everything - eyes, throat, etc. - started itching. I was just about ready to give it up when the auction started. And quick!!! They auctioned them off as quickly as they got them into the open space. And my little pinto - one guy finally said he'd take her for $5, so I didn't have to raise my hand.

Then I finally went on an RV plant tour - Jayco. I got to see the holding tanks up close and personal - before they were installed. It was pretty good.

This area is known as the RV center of the country, as well as an area with many Amish and Mennonite. So, the next day I visited the RV Museum and Hall of Fame. I loved that. Seeing all the old RVs, many hand-built  by the owners, was fun. I saw a Scotty, my folks' first, and an Airstream, just like my grandparents' first and only.

It's time to get home. I'll wait until after Irene, and may get my RV's oil changed again. A wash for both vehicles would be good too. Tonight I'm in PA, and will see if I can get any of those chores done tomorrow or the next day.

I also have to make a decision about RVing through Australia and New Zealand. It's awfully expensive, and I can't decide whether to do that or a cheaper, shorter trip to those countries. I always hoped I'd be making decisions like this!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment