Friday, August 19, 2011

On My Own Again (sung to Willie Nelson's 'On the Road...')


The last few days of the Alaskan Caravan were as great as usual. In fact our last driving day to Smithers we saw 5 bears - 4 different sightings. It was very exciting. There were 2 tiny little cubs - so cute!!! We also stopped to see some pretty ancient totem poles.

It was hard to leave the group. We had so many great times together. But, everything must come to an end. We had a farewell dinner, and then a farewell breakfast.



I went through the Canadian Rockies again, and then took Rte 2 across Montana. Of course, a lot of the scenery was just as beautiful as in Alaska and the Yukon. A lot of Montana was field after field after field with bale after bale after bale of ???? hay, wheat, oats ? It was harvesting time. I stayed in Shelby one night, and, as I was coming into town the radio said there was going to be a speaker on Seminole quilting. I decided to go. She spoke about a number of things, and many techniques. It was very interesting, and I saw a number of beautiful quilts.


I had planned to take Rte 2 for quite a way, but at some point I decided to visit some old haunts, and headed for South Dakota. In 1970, Penelope and I worked at the Cactus Restaurant, and in the mornings at a motel in Wall, SD. Today I visited the Crazy Horse Monument. In 1970 the sculptor said now that they have a road up to the monument, and can bring in heavy equipment, it would go much faster. In 1998 they displayed the finished head. I looked up at the mountain, and it looked like nothing was being done. But with binoculars I could see the puffs of dirt and dust rising from what I expect was drilling. What a huge endeavor!!!!

Tomorrow I go to Wall, and the Badlands.

No comments:

Post a Comment