Friday, July 1, 2011

Through the Yukon

I met my caravan June 26th at Dawson Creek, British Columbia. I don't know if Dawson Creek is like the TV show, since I've never seen the TV show. The Caravan participants are a great group of people. I know we are going to have a fantastic time together - lots of laughter and camaraderie. I am the only single, but people are being nice and including me. The day I got to Dawson Creek there was a small lake in the town and a big RV camp across from it. Two days later there was a huge lake, which encumbered all the trees in the park, and most of the RVs across the street - at least the ones that hadn't been driven away - were in water over their tires. The flooding continues.

We traveled through British Columbia, and have now been in the Yukon for a couple days. The Alcan Highway is quite something. It was built in less than 9 months in 1942 as a way to get materials across Canada and Alaska, and increase US and Canadian security, particularly with the Japanese strategizing to take claim in the Aleutian Islands. This highway cost $140 million, and was designated the 16th International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in the world. In 1942 Dawson Creek's population grew from 600 to over 10,000 in a few weeks, with the troop increase to build the highway. Can you imagine??!! In Watson Lake a few of the soldiers working on the highway, put up signposts to their homes, starting a tradition which now claims more than 7,000 signs. Of course, we added ours from the caravan.

This seems to be the cinnamon bun capital of the world. We stopped at the first place recommended, and I swore I would never have another, because, no way, could it be as good as that one, until we hit the next place and he was just taking 2 pans out of the oven. And, we've been told there are more ahead.

We haven't seen as many animals as we wanted, since we want them to be at every corner, but we've seen a lot. Bison, sheep, bear, moose, and more. We are now at Whitehorse, and will be here a couple days. So far the trip is all I wanted, and more. I have had trouble with my car's battery draining again, but the Wagonmaster and Tailgunner have been great, charging it, fixing turnlights, and so much more. This is a great way for me to travel - with someone to tell me about all the best places, and take care of all the problems.


I'm also learning a lot of tricks of the trade. Most of these people have been RVing for many years. Two of the couples have been 24-7 for a number of years. And of course, everyone has stories. I guess you can't do this without having stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment