Thursday, July 21, 2011

Rafting and Driving the Dogs

We've been having so much fun. The group is great. The scenery is FANTASTIC. And, we're doing a lot.

I sometimes wonder how I make it. Yesterday we stopped for a boat trip to a glacier. I locked my tow car, and forgot to unlock it and turn it on. Thus, the steering wheel locked. An hour later, as we reached our destination, I heard my tires squealing, when I went around the corner, and wondered why. The other day I was following another rig, and the driver asked how I was doing on gas. I hadn't looked at the indicator, so I told her "It's on empty, and blinking." We thought we were 30-40 miles from the next gas station, so I said a little prayer. I have a 20 gallon tank, and filled it with more than 20 gallons.

One of my pet peeves is that you can't see what you're taking with your camera, in bright sun - in my case, with neither my Kodak camera, nor my iPhone camera. The Kindle corrected the problem, so you can read your book in the sunlight; why can't the cameras? I hadn't planned on getting another camera or phone for a while, but I may if I can correct this problem. On this trip I keep taking pictures, hoping some will be good. Well, today, at the glacier where we were "mushing," somehow I reversed the camera, and, not knowing it, took 127 pictures of my face. You can imagine how pleased I was with that.

We had the best time the other day, rafting down a river. The river went by our campground. It was so nice to look out on the river, the mountains, and a train across the river. We had been waving to the rafters we saw go by, and today we waved to the campers. The rafting was so much fun. We were supposed to have a raft where we all paddle, but the order got messed up somehow, so we had a person who did all the rowing and steering, and all we had to do was hold on.They asked us to stay together with the people we planned to raft with. Just like that we all grabbed each other, and dared them to pull us apart. Of course, they gave us the normal instruction and safety points. As soon as we pushed off, he had us practice the positions, and leaning forward. Then we hit some rapids. I've included a couple pictures of our rafting. In the first picture you really can't see those of us who were in the front. But in the second picture you can. Two of those legs you see in the second one are mine. Then we came to the second big rapids, and Bob and I went back again, with our legs up in the air. With help from my neighbor in the raft, I got up, and another wave took me back again. At that point the "Rower" said to both of us, "Stay down, but get ready." Okay, then we hit the third rough section, and Bob and I were determined we weren't going over a third time. I took the wave straight in my face, and, without raising my head, turned toward Bob to see if he stayed up too. Success!!! We then told the "Rower" he should take us back to the first one and let us prove we could do it. No go! ....... But the best part of the rafting trip, was to see a moose and her calf about 150 feet up the river from where we launched. That was special, and she didn't run away - just kept watching us, while we watched the two of them.





At the campsite today, we're looking out over a bay, and mountains, and glaciers. It is absolutely beautiful!! We took a helicopter up to a glacier, and then rode on a dogsled. Mush! Guiee! etc. Forgetting about the reflection on the ice and snow, a number of us got sunburns. I found out they have to protect a number of the dogs from sunburn too. I never thought about that. They had a large number of dogs, and 6 brand new little puppies. On the dogsled, we stood just in back of the musher, or trailing further back on the back of a sled. Standing on the trailing sled was more fun. You had more control, and felt like you were actually a musher. It was like water-skiing. I used muscles I haven't used for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment