Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sebring to St. Augustine


I went back to Sebring in the middle of the state, and had more fun with my good friends. This included dinners, a movie and talking, talking, talking. I stayed at the nearby state park this time. I don't know why, but it seems you meet more people in state parks. The first day I met this great couple. Kathy (another realtor) and I hit it off right away. She shared her secrets of organizing her rig, which was almost exactly like mine - a year younger with a dinette instead of a couch. A couple weeks earlier I had seen Doreen's, Liz' and Max' motorhomes and had seen some of their organizing tools. So, I began the reorganization of Gail's rig. That's all - I just began it. It's continuing. The biggest surprise for me was that all these people were using the same material I was, and all their things were staying on the counter and upright in the cupboards - while they drove. Mine landed on the floor, and whacked me in the head when I opened doors. And no, Kathy, it's not the way I drive. I have since discovered these great bathtub mats, which I cut up and put everywhere, and now my things stay put too. Kathy and her husband Peter raced sailboats for many years and were used to living in small places, and still entertaining. The last day I was there I met another great couple. I found out they were game-players, too late!! I told them I would have knocked on their door when I had returned the night before and we could have played till dawn.

My plan was to stay in the Flagler Beach area next, but the Daytona 500 nixed those plans. All I could find was 1 night in the St. Augustine area. Once there, I found a place that would take me for another 3 nights, and I like it. The sites are larger; it's wooded, convenient and cheaper, and it has internet. I think my next investment will be a mifi. I can look things up on my I-phone, but doing any amount of communication is a pain. After I moved I went down to Flagler Beach to see the area and look up Jean (sister of my sister-in-law) and Fran. We had lunch at this great local place on the beach. Flagler Beach is beautiful. I can see why my Dad made a trip there in the winter.

St. Augustine is great too! I could spend more time here. There's lots to do - great water, boating, fishing, beaching, and lots of history, shopping, eating, entertainment. This is one of those places where you see musicians set up on the sidewalks and play in the cafes, as well as be scheduled for the clubs. Once again, I jumped off and on an Old Town trolley, took some tours and walked around. I toured the old jail which was, I thought, a well-done tourist trap. Flagler - remember him? - the railroad and hotel builder - also partner to Rockefeller in Standard Oil - had built a ritzy hotel across from the jail, and then paid for the jail to be rebuilt at another location. This guy is supposed to be an astute businessman, but I wonder....he builds a fancy hotel, ACROSS from the jail, and then also decides he has to build a railroad to get people to the hotel in style. But...he sure did make his mark in Florida. His name keeps coming up. I've learned lots of the history of St. Augustine - go ahead ask me something, ask me anything!!!! - and of course I bought 3 more books - saga of the city, daughters of the city and ghosts of the city. Today I'm doing laundry, organizing, reading, walking, and tomorrow, I'll go back into the city to check out a museum and a small village of old, original houses. Like I said before, "what a life!"

No comments:

Post a Comment