Friday, February 18, 2011

The Keys to Florida

From now on, when I think of the sun and beach of Florida - the American Caribbean - I'm going to think of the Keys. Water everywhere! I love driving over the numerous bridges with water on both sides. I love the fact that the highest point on Key West is 18" above sea level. I couldn't take the altitude - my nose started bleeding. I don't like the mangrove trees growing all over the water with their huge roots. These keep forming new patches of land. One guide pointed out a patch and said if we came back in 500 years there may be a new key, hammock, ?? Well, maybe it does take that long, but I still don't like this growth.

Because of great friends, I'm staying in the middle keys with a canal out the back door - with many, many pelicans (none carrying babies in a diaper?napkin?) and the occasional heron. What fun. I arrived Sunday, and watched a little of the Superbowl with Cameron, the woman who lived downstairs. On Monday I did some errands, reading and exploring.





On Tuesday, I explored Crane Point. Francis and Mary Crane from Massachusetts bought this land, some of which was previously owned by George Adderley in the early 1900s. George was from the Bahamas, met his wife, and had a family. He earned a living collecting and selling sponges and making and selling charcoal. The Cranes bought his land and much more, building a home in 1954. This parcel of 63 acres is preserved by a trust. It contains the Adderley and Crane houses, a butterfly meadow, a bird rehab, and of course the beautiful land and sea. This preserve is located in the middle of Marathon. The Trust has kept the location from being a Wallmart parking lot or condominium development. It is truly beautiful. While there, we were entertained by a family of ospreys.

Wednesday I went to Key West for the day. I took one of those Old Town tours where you can jump (very carefully) off and on the trolley to see different things. I visited Hemingway's house, which was very interesting. There are something like 60 cats there - all descended from a cat Hemingway brought home from ???? I also went to the Truman Little White House - another building steeped in history. I liked Truman, and enjoyed hearing more about him. A few of us on the tour really wanted to lag behind and sit down at the poker table, but the tour guide was accounting for all his "little chickees" following him. At Mallory Sq every night they celebrate the sunset. I saw the beginning as musicians were beginning to gather, but couldn't stay too long. Times like this I wish I had a companion to share the driving, or at least keep me awake on the ride back. That kept me out of Margaritaville too, even though it was 5:00 there.

Thursday I had the most fun. I went to the Turtle Hospital in Marathon. It rescues, rehabilitates, and, if possible, releases sea turtles back to their habitat. The owner had bought a motel on the bay side. It had a large salt water pool, which he started filling with fish and sea creatures. He asked about taking in sea turtles and was told they needed a facility to rehab turtles. He agreed to do that, and started the turtle hospital. Income from the motel supported the hospital. But then a hurricane damaged the motel beyond fixing and reopening it. At one point when Mother Nature brought a very large number of turtles to the hospital, they were housed in the motel rooms. Admission and sales from the gift shop now support the hospital. They have a number of residential turtles - turtles that will never be released, because their afflictions won't allow them to survive on their own. It was the best education. We were shown the amount of plastic that was taken from 1 turtle's belly. It filled a gallon jar. The turtles were adorable - like my iguana was adorable. We also saw a couple iguanas there. The Turtle Hospital touched my heart. If you find yourself in Marathon, it is definitely worth the trip. I had planned to go to the Dolphin Rescue Center too, but didn't get there.

Beautiful area, great things to do and see. What a life - I think I've said that before. And, as a bonus, I'm missing the winter to top all winters back in Mass. Now, back to the Sebring area. I have to get to a vet and hair salon - such mundane but necessary activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment