Saturday, January 15, 2011

The tourist

Since I left Dallas, I have been a real tourist. I have taken time to check out the internet to see what attractions are in the different cities. And I am no longer driving 6-8 hours a day. My main purpose at this time is to enjoy the sites. Last time I was in Louisiana, I drove through, except for 2 days in New Orleans. I remember going over this long, long bridge over swamps - what I guessed was the bayou - and hoping there would not be an accident, because I knew that there were alligators and crocodiles down there. Yesterday, I went over that same bridge and was thinking the same thing, looking for them in the swamp area.

In Shreveport, I visited this great art gallery (looked like a museum to me). Mostly American artists - a lot of Frederic Remington. I couldn't believe I stayed as long as I did, and I had the whole museum to myself, with 6-7 guards. The family (Norton) started this with RWNorton's collection, and still supports it. And it was free!!

In Lafayette I toured an Arcadian Village, and drove by some other attractions. Yesterday and today I have had a good time in Baton Rouge. Yesterday I parked in staff parking to see the Old State Capital, but as soon as I emerged from the car, a guard was there waiting. I guess the Massachusetts plate gave me away. So I drove through the LSU campus, and past a number of beautiful houses, and big old trees. Today I visited a couple plantations - one in the city proper. It is now 16 acres, but was 900, and had a very sobering exhibit of pictures and notices in the slave house on display.  The second was a Creole plantation, which was fascinating. I bought a book about the family - 3 or 4 generations - with all the "juicy" stories. After that, I ate at a fantastic seafood restaurant (thanks, Shannon).

Time to see what's next.

No comments:

Post a Comment