Saturday, March 8, 2014

Dias and Barbeque Ostrich

In 1487 Bartholomeu Dias sailed round the southern tip of Africa, landing at what later was Mossel Bay. For many years this place was used to take on fresh water and meat. In 1500 Pedro de Ataide left a letter in a shoe under a large tree. In 1501 the letter was found by Joao da Nova on his way to India. Thus the first post office in South Africa was found. The tree is still there and is now called the post office tree.



We went to the Bartolomeu Dias Museum Complex, and saw the replica of Dias' ship. The replica was built in Portugal and sailed to Souh Africa with a crew of Portuguese and South Africans. When they enlarged the museum they left part of the wall unfinished. After the 3 month sail to South Africa, they partially dismantled the ship, pulled her over greased sleepers and then pulled her inside with an hydraulic system.



Our next stop was the Safari Ostrich Farm. We ate barbequed ostrich for lunch with a secret sauce the owner would not divulge, sweet potatoe soup, rolls, salad, carrot salad, corn poppers and some kind of custard. The Farm is known for its food and makes everything from scratch. I have to admit I wasn't that excited about the ostrich, but the secret sauce was delicious. After a few bites of the meat I once again became a vegetarian. Then we went for a tour. These animals are funny. They want to take everything, including my camera. One took off the tour guide's hat about 6 times until he put it on the ostrich backwards with his beak coming out through the space in the back. We fed them some pellets and they made a mess. I thought maybe they were doing it on purpose so that they could have some pellets lying within reach later.. The staff pick out some ostrich to protect the young. Sometimes they'll have up to 30 babies to watch over. I was curious whether they choose certain birds because they have better parenting skills, but NO. I guess they're all lousy parents, but will protect the babies from marauders. I understand the ostrich kick out their feet and then rake their claws down the opponents' faces, legs, stomach, etc. They are quite violent. The small tykes were so cute running after the adults, like baby geese run after their mother.
 
The next day we went to the Cango Caves. I wasn't excited about the caves, but I'm so glad I saw them. I remember when Penelope and I were working around the country and went to Carlsbad Caverns. I was so impressed, and I don't think I have been as impressed until this cave walk. Our guide even sang a couple songs to us. She accompanied herself with a drum by hitting one of the stalagmites. The different caverns were beautiful. That night we had a dinner on the waterfront, again in a perfect setting. I didn't realize South Africa would be so beautiful. Good people, good food and good fun. This trip is becoming better with every day.



On Tuesday the 4th we did little more than drive to our next campsite, which is on the ocean. And by ocean I mean the best seaside I have slept beside. The ocean is raging. The smell, sound and view is, once again, tempting me to own a place by the sea. I'm not sure I am going to be able to leave this spot. I'd love to come back here for a month or more. This is a great place to relax, and yet not far from thr game reserves. And we had a troop of dassies diligently gathering food.
 


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful stories and pictures! We're glad your having a good time! We love you and miss you so much! (: <3

    - John, Susan and little Stephy poo.

    ReplyDelete