Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Organ Pipe Cactus

I had an interesting day today. I drove about 2 hours south, close to the border (on the way to Rocky Point) to the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument. The organ pipe cactus reaches its northern limits in this area. It grows in the Senoran Desert, which includes this southern part of Arizona, and goes into Mexico.

It matures at about 15 feet, and can live for 150 years. At around age 35, it begins to produce its first flowers. Flowers bloom at night, and wither in the morning. A cactus will have many flowers buds, which grow out of the stems. Thus, one cactus will bloom on many different days, lasting many weeks from May to July. I'd love to see that, but I don't think I would live through the 100+ temps.

 


I took a scenic drive, and walked a couple short trails. Luckily, they sold water bottles and sunscreen at the visitor center. I didn't come prepared to be in the hot Arizona sun. Why???? What was I thinking??.  No more than one week ago, it was 15-16 degrees at night, and today it was 80. I could feel my skin kind of puckering, pulling in, creating even more wrinkles.

 

On the way I drove through Ajo, AZ. As I came into the town I thought it was depressed. When I got to the town center, it was charming. They had a plaza with various businesses and administration buildings around it, and 2 beautiful white stone/adobe churches at one end. I had to stop and drink a cup of coffee with the other citizens beginning their day.

'Twas a fun trip, into an interesting and unique part of the country. And beautiful....the desert is truly beautiful.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment