Saturday, March 10, 2012

Shootin' Them Up in El Paso

It has been forever since I have written. Almost a month. I mentioned before, that I blew out my engine on the tow car. After quite a time, it was finally ready. I was told that each time they had all the parts, and thought they just had to put it together, they uncovered another part needed. Who knows, but once they finished it, they realized the new engine was defective. What!?! The Service Manager said it was under warranty, so I could get it fixed for nothing at home. I said I wanted to leave Texas with a perfectly running car, so get a new engine. I had been staying the last few days at a nice campground, but it was under construction and had no internet. I read all the books I had, including what I had on Kindle, and said I've got to go. So, I went to El Paso. 


I love the "shoot-em-up, cowboy" stuff in Texas, and I found a lot of it in El Paso. I took a tour from an independent tour operator, who knew the history, and told a good story. "He died of lead poisoning - from a 45 in his back." El Paso is separated from Mexico by the Rio Grande. This was per the Guadalupe - Hidalgo Treaty. This treaty between the US and Mexico ended the US - Mexican war, allowed for the purchase of some Mexican land by the US, and "settled" the border disputes. Of course, no one told Mother Nature, so she brought down rain, rain and more rain, changed the route of the Rio Grande, and in so doing, changed the border. How about going to bed a Mexican resident, and waking up living in the US?


 El Paso is built on both sides of the mountain range (actually, the southern part of the Rockies). Going over the mountain range, you look down on Mexico. Down below, with the drought affecting the river, if there isn't a fence you can jump into Mexico. Marty Robbins found love (and death) in El Paso, at Rosa's Cantina. A shot from a fight in Mexico put a bullet hole in El Paso's new City Hall, miles away. But, my favorite stop was the cemetery.
 
There is an enclosure in memory of the Buffalo Soldiers, who are buried in the cemetery. There is also a section for the Chinese, who originally came building the railroads. There are sections for other nationalities. There is also a sign which reminds you, that this is not an ordinary cemetery. One of El Paso's gunfights, which started with an insult, killed 4 men in 5 minutes. They're all buried in this cemetery, along with many of El Paso's famous characters.

In El Paso, I started thinking I should have some cowgirl boots. I checked a few stores, but didn't find any. For one thing, I want them made in the US. Why would I come to Texas, to buy boots made in India or China? Mexico isn't quite as bad, but I want them made in the US!!

I decided to go back to Dallas to stay with my cousins, while I continued to wait for my car. This is my second home. When visiting, I usually stay for a week. This year, it has been 3 weeks. And... they haven't gotten tired of me yet. Or... they're not saying anything. I'm so glad I could go to Dallas. I knew I could have a great time there, and I wouldn't be more than a day's drive away from my car.














No comments:

Post a Comment