Thursday, March 3, 2011

An Oasis?

I pulled into this campground yesterday, which is named ....Oasis. The pictures and the description on the internet were great. There was another campground I was considering, which was on a lake. But their message box was full, and the internet didn't give a lot of information, like rates. But, when I pulled in to the ....Oasis, I questioned the oasis part, and was afraid I might experience a "Deliverance" part. The place was really messy, small, and didn't have but a few RVs. Most of them looked long-term, which brought more thoughts of "Deliverance." There was a hose hooked up to my water, which rambled "through" the campground, as far as I could see. There was a barbeque grill with a supply of burned wood on my picnic table. I thought "Oh boy." It had taken me a while to get there. None of the roads in the area were on my GPS, and I had to call for directions. A small item was not included with the directions, which meant I drove about 45 minutes out of my way, until I realized I was on the wrong road. No way I wanted to start looking again for a campground.  ...... And it's fine. The owners' dogs and cats are running loose, but Skittles has stayed on a leash. I've had to protect the dogs from her. She humps her back just like a Halloween cat, and has a fearsome hiss and yowl.          I really feel like I'm out in the sticks. I tried to use my GPS for some of the sites I wanted to visit, with no luck. None of the roads are on the GPS. But then I pull into a town, and it has all these chains - Walmart, BestBuy, Chili's, even a Panera lunch place. And traffic. Where did these people come from and what are they doing? I only saw trees and fields on my 75 miles of sightseeing.       I did visit a house built in the 1700s, which was the location of a skirmish between Whigs and Tories in the American Revolution. The house still had bullet holes in it - on both floors. The mother had pulled a table into the fireplace, to have the children stand on to avoid being shot. Through all these years why hadn't those bullet holes been filled? In New England they would have, just to keep out the cold. Perhaps in NC they welcomed whatever breeze the bullet holes would bring in to the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment